Shoes
Earlier in the week I was thinking about shoes, Mother’s shoes - shall they be kept, recycled, passed on to my sister, would my sister want them, she has the same size feet? Both Mother and sister have small hands and feet, size 5, used to think I was big foot in the family as I was two sizes larger. I could gather shoes, slippers and create a sculpture or instillation. On second thought that would be more about me as I have a thing for shoes, wanting to get comfortable shoes, tango shoes, walking shoes, outrageous shoes, funky shoes, artistic shoes or go to retail therapy and buy shoes. How many shoes can one person buy and use at one time? Soon I will start sorting of Mom’s clothing, baby steps to acknowledge the reality of missing her love and physical presence.
Nurturing myself with picking up a Japanese lunch box and tempera. While waiting, go for a walk around the perimeter of Ross Bay Cemetery, no short cuts as no dogs allowed. I meander down a lane on my right, see a hedge and within a square and view of many head headstones on graves. I notice a tall silhouette of an angel and think about photographing the dappling sun on the stone carving, no camera with me on this walk about, will have to return another day to follow up on that thought. Then I walk across the road to the beech to walk amongst the stones and driftwood flooded with many memories as a child exploring Willows Beech, Dallas Road, Beddis Beech, Walkers Hook and Ganges. As I return to the present moment notice the dog is struggling on the stones so walk a little further and turn around. On the return
there are small items on the cement railings. First I see an empty pen holder, then further along a tiny pair of children’s shoes which glitter in the sun with stones inside, these small unoccupied shoes draw my attention and curiosity and I wonder why? There was another object further down and do not remember what the object was. Were they put there by a child or an adult with their inner child? Then the associations related to childhood surfaced, walking for the first time and what that was like, an adventure, wobbly, scary, and exciting. The shoes were pink and sparkly today and in the past shiny black, I seem to be in this sentimental kitsch place. Also struck by the synchronicity of the appearance of the tiny shoes, as shoes were on my mind at the beginning of this walk. Enough day dreaming and walk back to pick up my treat, pick up my iPad and return to take photographs of the shoes then homeward bound.




Comments
Post a Comment