Mom’s Room in Den at Burnley Place
This evening sat quietly reflecting on the time I spent with Mom for over two years when she was deemed requiring palliative care. Her last bedroom was in the den in her own home. She had a lift to transport her to her electric recliner as she was unable to weight bare and she was surrounded with her familiar objects. For ten months when she was more acutely ill she spent a lot of time in this room. In fact she was surrounded by these four walls for a year before she occasionally went out in a wheel chair. We spent many hours in the same room meeting needs and care. Sometimes I drew pictures, when I was drawing her and she would ask to have a look. I was grateful for this time, although too much sitting. Even though she was unable to weight bare, mentally she had humour, hope and courage. I admired her wit and we shared books, current events and ideas. I miss her physical presence and am comforted to be able to reflect and reminisce.
Tonight was thinking about her room, her chair, being in her chair and it now being vacant. So two 24x28 images were created using charcoal titled Empty Chair.



Comments
Post a Comment