Royal Oak Graveyard Long Shadows
Pastel/ Charcoal Drawings. Did the Katsura- Cercidiphyllum Japonicaum from memory, then went on site to do an art piece. There is always a sense of unreality that my parents are buried here. My Father in a coffin, my Mother in the same grave after cremation. Oh, how I miss them. My intention is to describe the resting place, connected to the earth and place at the Royal Oak Burial Park. My process is I arrive, replenish flowers, today the water tap, has been turned off so had to ask for water from grounds keepers. I walk back and forth to select viewpoint, a lot of back and forthing, sat on plastic bag on the ground at the edge of the road looking back at the trees. The setting sun is always spectacular, today cool and crisp, sunny day creating shadows. A sharp contrast from the day of Mom’s service and burial of her ashes when there were raging rivulets streaming pass gravesite and tree branches flying overhead. The long shadow was across the road and one gravesite lit by the sun. I completed a 18x24 charcoal/pastel drawing.


Comments
Post a Comment